Saturday, December 30, 2006

Alice Walker's New Book

When I hear that a new Alice Walker book is coming out, I make a note on my calendar, so I can be sure to pick up a copy on the day it arrives at the store. She has been my favorite writer since I read The Color Purple many, many years ago. I just finished her latest: We Are the Ones We Have Been Waiting For: Inner Light in a Time of Darkness.

The title of the book comes from the late poet June Jordan who wrote the line "We are the ones we have been waiting for." Jordan was my professor for one of my classes at UC Berkeley in the early 1990s. It was absolutely amazing to be in her presence. She was an unbelievably kind and inspirational human being. A great teacher.

We Are the Ones is described as "meditations." It can surely be read as this, giving opportunities to pause and reflect. The collection includes many talks and commencement addresses. Found here are talks Walker has given to the African American Buddhist Conference/Retreat (2002); UC Santa Cruz (early 1990s); Midwives Alliance of North America (2001); and International Association of Black Yoga Teachers (2003) and graduation addresses to Agnes Scott College (2000) and California Institute of Integral Studies (2002), as well as other essays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home