Saturday, January 28, 2006

Miss American Pie

I received an advanced reading copy of Miss American Pie: A Diary of Love, Secrets and Growing up in the '70s by Margaret Sartor to review for Library Journal. The author teaches at the Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University. The diary traces her life from age twelve to eighteen. I'm currently on page 82 of 272 and surprised by how much I am enjoying it. I was skeptical about the ability to enjoy or receive much insight from the diary of someone so young, especially since I take such pleasure in reading the memoirs of older women. My skepticism was only heightened when I initially scanned through the book and discovered many of the entries were only one sentence long. It has proved, however, to be a gripping read thus far. I have put my other reading aside to finish this book. I also need to write for my own book this weekend, so I'm stocked with coffee and ready to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home