Sunday, August 20, 2006

Bukowski

Today I went with my husband to see Factotum. The film is based on one of Charles Bukowski's novels by the same title. Matt Dillon plays Henry Chinaski. Chinaski is a character who appears in many of Bukowski's writings. The character is a thinly disguised Bukowski and understood to be Bukowski by most.

We both enjoyed the film. I was a huge Bukowski fan in my 20s. I still have nearly an entire shelf devoted to him in my personal library.

Knowing we were going to see the film today, I pulled some of his books out last night and read a few poems I marked many years ago. I can see why I marked those particular poems. There is an intense beauty of language found there.

I will always have a soft spot for certain writers. Bukowski is one of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home