Friday, April 21, 2006

My New Affair

It's true. I tried to get into Steinbeck in the past, but just couldn't. I'm not sure why. Just one of those things. I remember reading the short classics in high school (The Pearl; Of Mice & Men), but it all stopped there and they were required reading. A few years ago I purchased The Grapes of Wrath. It is still on my shelf. Maybe I read one or two pages once, but wasn't moved.

How can I explain then that I've now fallen for him?

I was at Borders a few weeks back and browsed his section of the store. The books all looked lovely - the titles, colors, and different editions. I purchased Cannery Row. I started it earlier this week and just finished last night. My new affair is official. I was swept away by the language, the depth and poignancy of the characters, the California landscape...

Yesterday I browsed his area at my workplace. I brought home To an Unknown God and Travels with Charley: In Search of America.

I do hope the affair continues. I've been so busy lately and feeling a bit numb and overwhelmed. When I sit outside with Steinbeck though, I feel like the real me. The true book gypsy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home